SANTA LUCIA ROCKHOUNDS
Of North San Luis Obispo County, CA
Join Our Club Junior Rockhounds
The mission of the Santa Lucia Rockhounds is to promote the study of rocks, minerals, gems, and fossils as well as the natural sciences concerned with the Earth’s formation and geology. Our club is a place for people who don't mind getting dirt under their nails, have a sense of adventure, or are simply curious about the geological history and wonders of the world! We also encourage members to engage in the lapidary arts by crafting jewelry and creating other works of beauty from rocks, minerals and gems.
We are a nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization founded in 1992, a member of the California Federation of Mineralogical Societies, and affiliated with the American Federation of Mineralogical Societies. Our club rock is the Biconoid. Biconoids are the core of Thundereggs found in the Templeton area.
The Club is also dedicated to the protection and conservation of natural resources. You might be a rockhound if ...
- You like rocks, fossils, gems, jewelry, etc.,
- Find yourself looking down at the ground or up in the hills for "special treasures",
- Make things out of your finds, and/or
- Collect them in jars or around your yard.
An estimated two million people across the United States have hobbies relating to collecting, shaping, polishing and displaying these finds.
What We Do
We meet ten evenings a year in downtown Templeton.
Meetings feature guest speakers on varied topics of interest to club members. Meetings include a separate activity for kids, a drawing, silent auction, refreshments and time for socializing. We also offer
- A monthly newsletter with rock-related articles and information Fieldtrips
- A family picnic with lapidary demonstrations
- End-of -the Year party
- An Annual Rock & Gem Show
- A club library of lapidary, geology and rock collecting books and magazines
- The Junior Rockhounds badge-earning program where kids learn to collect and identify rocks, minerals, etc. and how to display and use them (such as flint-knapping)- held at the same time as the regular meeting of the Santa Lucia Rockhounds
- College Scholarships
- Most importantly, A WHOLE LOT OF FUN!
We award a $1,000 scholarship to a person who has demonstrated an interest in pursuing an education in Earth Science, Geology or related major. The applicant must be a graduating high school senior or a person who is enrolled in college. A 3.00 or higher cumulative GPA is required. The scholarship will be awarded when registration is finalized by the college or university selected by the applicant. Download application
Come check us out! We love having guests. We meet the 3rd Monday of the month, at 7:00 pm at the Templeton Service Club, located at 601 Main Street, Templeton. (We do not meet in September or December). Meetings feature guest speakers on varied topics of interest to club members. Meetings include a separate activity for kids, a drawing, silent auction, refreshments and time for socializing.